What is a nurture group and why is it important?
Nurture groups are developed around six key principles:
- Learning is understood developmentally
- The classroom offers a safe base
- The importance of nurture for the development of wellbeing
- Language is a vital means of communication
- All behaviour is communication
- The importance of transition in the lives of children and young people
What does Nurture Group look like at Abbey Woods Academy?
At Abbey Woods Academy, we have the understanding that all aspects of children’s learning are equally important. We believe that there is a need in our school for a Nurture Group which is designed to boost self-confidence, self-esteem, improve social skills and independence whilst providing children with an opportunity to develop their maturity and resilience.
Our Nurture Group aims to:
- provide children with a range of skills that they may need in and out of school
- strengthen and build relationships between adults and children
- provide children with strategies and opportunities to cope with difficult situations or emotions